Saturday, January 24, 2009

A high in West Hollywood

OMG. Best night ever. Being gay isn't so bad.

I had such a high in West Hollywood. No sooner than getting drinks at the bar and settling on the patio, an old alma mater acquaintance, whom I had not seen in over two years, recognized me and came up to me. What a nice guy; he didn't avoid me.

As luck would have it, this acquaintance was also a former resident advisor! He had approached in trio with another alma mater gay and a female companion. We exchanged introductions and pleasantries, then proceeded to do some getting-to-know and catching up. We all ended up hanging together at two venues past 2 AM. Wow, what a night. It went by so fast. I was real, honest and myself. I stayed true to myself and had no reason to feign anything, and I believe that is attractive. Curiously enough, female companion told me that I am attractive. What a huge ego booster. I expressed disbelief and can only hope this helps further develop my self-confidence and keep me grounded.

Throughout our conversations, I never directly came out to the trio. And similar to the night out with best friend #2 and bumping into first resident advisor, I believe that my presence in West Hollywood, inferences, and curiousity sufficed as my coming out to said resident advisor and his two companions. I did not have to directly come out; I believe it was given and is now established among the trio that I am out. Resident advisor and I exchanged numbers and expect to hang out again.

Since we were never close and only considered each other acquaintances, I am unsure if his offer was genuine in wanting to get to know me better and become friends or if it's just another number on his phone. I certainly wish for the former and caution myself to take it with a grain of salt. However, either way, his stepping up to me that night made a great impact on me and afforded me an amazing time in West Hollywood. I look forward to seeing him again and hopefully re-kindle a friendship.

It's ironic, because I had entertained the idea of re-connecting with old gay alma mater acquaintances and developing gay friendships from there. As I always remind myself, only time will tell whether or not this will turn into anything with substance. I hope so. Everything happens for a reason, and this might or might not be something good - even if it was only one enjoyable and educational night. It lifted my spirits.

Through this positive experience, I noticed these gay culture points while painting the town light red:

- hug and kiss on the cheek to say hello or goodbye
- walk up to people you know and catch up, even if superficially so
- drop names you even vaguely know in such conversations
- constantly cruise and scan the room, even when talking to someone
- eye contact is key
- know what is your type of guy
- be obvious and forward to your type of guy

Man, this is so much information, and I still feel overwhelmed. It much energy, discipline and experience to master these points, and I don't have enough energy to do it. Too bad I didn't learn this the first time around in adolescence. I understand that this will take time to learn and master. Time, time, time., yet again. The scene has so much diversity, and I appreciate it. However, I cannot point out my type yet. It's going to be a challenge, because there are so many to choose from.


In terms of family, I had the chance to briefly speak with my mom. She basically expressed that if that is who I am (not who I have become), then that is who I am. But I know she is somewhat struggling with the whole idea still. She followed with: I need not tell everyone about my sexuality (aka come out to others) because it is none of their business, and the world need not know. However, that would be a hindrance on my journey. Maybe she's not ready to share that part of me with the rest of the world. Or she's afraid that others will now look at or treat me differently in a negative way. I know that she has the best intentions and cares for and loves me. It's motherly duty.

I questioned her conversations with my dad on this topic, and I found out that they have not discussed it... in a good way. Probably because they are finding an increasing level of peace and normalcy with my sexuality and have no need to gripe about it. Since coming out, they probably noticed that I have not changed during this time and become a different person. I believe that they still see the same son. And that puts a smile on my face.


I can't wait to catch Prayers for Bobby this weekend! I showed my mom the trailer, and she understood what the movie was about, but did not show emotion. I showed them to friends, and they were on the verge of tears with just the trailer! I was also surprised by the amount of local radio and television ads promoting the special movie. I thought it was a small budget film, but apparently the budget is heavy on advertising!

4 comments:

naturgesetz said...

I don't think walking up to acquaintances and catching up is just a gay thing. Straight people I know do that too.

Diary of a Mad Latino Man said...

I am so glad to hear that you kept true to yourself. That is an awesome thing to hear. You should call your friend that you saw that night, you never know if things could turn into a beautiful friendship. Make the effort, whats the worst that could happen?

Love,
Peyton

Anonymous said...

I just finished catching up on your blog and I think it's great.

"constantly cruise and scan the room, even when talking to someone" and "be obvious and forward to your type of guy" are not behaviour traits you should try to pick up. These are things to do when you're a predator and prowling for meaningless annonymous sex. I'm no Mother Teresa and I don't claim to have never done these things, but I get an innocent and vulnerable vibe from you and it would be nice to see that last as long as possible.

That being said - have you had any sexual experiences with guys yet? I'd be interested to hear about your first time when it happens, or if it already has... give us the details.

John Halcyon von Rothschild said...

I did see "Prayers for Bobby", aside from the cheesy music, it was pretty good. Sigourney Weaver always delivers.

It's funny that you said that about catching up...I do the same thing. I don't really scan the room to pick up guys as much as just observe people.

I haven't really pinpointed the type of guy I'm attracted to. I am more charmed by personality (cheesy I know) as long as he doesn't look too bad.