Sunday, January 18, 2009

Worthy enough



I had heard about "Prayers for Bobby" and wanted to know more. It is a movie on the Lifetime TV network and looks like a must-see. Don't get me wrong. I still think this network is lame and for old women, and this movie is mainly targeted to that age group, but it touches on the coming out process and how low we feel about ourselves because society is taught that homosexuality is shameful and wrong. That I can understand and relate to, can't we all? And if I may say, it is society that needs to change its perspective; not me or my brothers and sisters.

As I gather, Bobby plays a secondary role in the movie because the storyline focuses on how the mother, Mary Griffith, deals with her son's homosexuality and reconciles his subsequent suicide. Take a preview.



After watching the trailer and thinking about the high suicide rate among LGBT youth, I am grateful for my family's acceptance of my sexuality. Personally, I have entertained the idea in the past of just dying to end the unhappiness, but not to any substantial level. Thankfully, my inner strength told me that I am worthy of the life created for me. And a part of me will live on and advocate in our generation's gay movement on behalf of those who decided their lives were not worthy enough.

Thanks to DEBRIEFING THE BOYS for highlighting the trailer. Lifetime TV's "Prayers for Bobby" website offers more detail on the film, cast and real-life Griffith family.

2 comments:

Diary of a Mad Latino Man said...

OMG, I started crying and getting goose bumps as I was watching the trailer. When does this movie come out? I would also like to read the book.

Hope all is well.

Love,
Peyton

John Halcyon von Rothschild said...

Wow. I'm so lucky to have really good parents.