
"My name is Harvey Milk, and I am here to recruit you!"
This phrase gave me goosebumps everytime Sean Penn's character spoke it. He at least deserves an Oscar nomination if not the win. I hope that he gets it. And James Franco is one cute stud.
I caught the film "MILK" a while back, but did not post my thoughts on it. Overall, I think that it was a good movie, highlighting the gay movement back in the 70's - way before my birth. I am so grateful how far society has come in terms of normalizing homosexuality and its greater acceptance of it nowadays, but I know it still has a ways to go. It's too bad the film did not release before Election Day 2008. I am sure some voters would have voted to protect our civil rights; maybe even enough votes to bring down Proposition 8.
Though I have made only less than a handful of visits to gay hangouts and events, I could not imagine being arrested and manhandled for simply gathering. As the film opened, the shame, embarrassment, and attempts of men hiding their faces as the news cameras tried to capture their faces were all led on by the shame society placed on homosexuality. I felt so saddened that our society was so ignorant and intolerant back in the day and to an extent still is today. When the proposition looked like it would fail, I was on the verge of tears when it eventually passed. The sense of accomplishment and acceptance for my brothers and sister by way of that prop must have been so exhilarating and exciting at the time.
Unfortunately, I went in with higher-than-average expectations, fed by the media and awards hype, and left the theater slightly disappointed. I guess I expected to leave the theater more motivated and inspired to do something and take action. But I did inside. I saw how far we have come in the gay movement but also the oppression our community have faced and continue to face.
I have to continue fighting for my brothers and sisters. For those who died of shame and those who were oppressed and discriminated against. For those who wished to live in a world accepting of homosexuality, openly and freely. For those who lived unhappy lives and died without ever being truthful to themeselves and their loved ones. For those who denied themselves dignity and pride.
I vow to place a human face on homosexuality and show that we are just as diverse, talented, successful, normal and real as straight people.
My lasting thought after seeing the film remains: who and where is our gay rights leader today? Sure, there are a handful of out celebrities who give homosexuality exposure and visibility, but none of them have the charisma and effect of Harvey Milk in the political process that protect and fight for our community. And, sure, we have a gay movement with many more activists and organizations than yester-years, but who and where is that ringleader blazing the way forward and taking a stand?
The following is yet another self-reminder that time is on my side during this process.
The real-life Cleve Jones (who was played by Emile Hirsch in "MILK") commented in a Washington Post interview about the timing and success of this film, "That's part of why the whole miracle of the timing to me is just so lovely. After waiting and waiting and waiting and then suddenly: Boom! It happens. And happens with breathtaking speed and this magic alignment of talent."
Thanks to steevo in cali for bringing attention to this Washington Post article.
Of course, Jones' quote is in context for the film. But, for me, I see it contexualized in my coming out. My head continues to have many racing thoughts of what the future holds, and I tell myself, "who knows what will happen when? Only time will tell, and I must be patient." Timing is lovely.
The picture above is from the DVD documentary "The Times of Harvey Milk", a 1984 documentary on his life and winner of the Academy Award for Best Documentary in 1985. Can you believe that? A documentary on the life of the first openly gay man to be elected into public office was done in 1984 and took the Oscar in the next year? The director even thanked his partner publically on live television. Those liberal Hollywood movie folk, thanks! I have yet to see this documentary, but it is on my list. It was highly recommended by an acquaintence.
3 comments:
You ask about where is our ringleader, I think you are finding your calling... If you have this much passion about being a gay activist I think you should tap into some of your enthusiastic energy and leap into my friend.
I myself think we have to many other things in this world to worry about than worrying about gay movements. I think we have numerous homeless people in the streets and not enough homeless shelters. I think no one takes time to realize that not only do we have a homeless problem but also are in need of so many volunteers for our youth of America.
I am all for you though fighting for gay rights and wish you nothing but the best my friend.
Love,
Peyton
I have yet to see the movie. I should. I keep hearing good things. Maybe I'll wait until it comes out on DVD that way in case I get mad or angry at it's contents, it'll be in the presence of my own home.
Saw the movie and I thought it was slow to start. But the ending made me cry...the river of people holding candles snaking through the streets of San Francisco in his honor. It was very moving.
Post a Comment