Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Young men things

I conducted a preliminary self-assessment of the age range of men I find myself most attracted to. The general consensus is men older than myself. By older, I am thinking in their late 20's to 30's. That age range would be at the least a few years older than myself. Then I jumped to the conclusion that if in the future I find myself dating older men, I would miss out on having fun with a partner my age or younger doing young men things (whatever they are).

It would be a real loss dating an older guy who is looking to settle, more serious and wiser. I mean, these qualities are in no way negative, but I can't help feeling that these qualities make a man less fun. Does that even make logical sense? Do these qualities and age have any substantive correlation?

I think I am jumping to conclusions too quickly and too far away from present day. After all, I recently came out and am not ready to date. I first need to find young gay men to befriend and learn the ropes of what it is I like and dislike about being young and gay and all the things that come along with this identity.

I recently returned from a trip to Vegas and spotted groups of gay boys about my age hanging out and having fun together and could not help but be slightly envious. I think one of my next steps is to make friends and build relationships with my brothers and sisters. I just have to think where to start and how to get there.

Who knows? My taste may change and further evolve as I continue the coming out process and open my eyes to the plethora of diversity in our community.

And you know what? I revel in the excitement and the diversity of our community. I love that, although there are many stereotypes, we can be just as successful and happy as straight folk.

Tonight I am heading to West Hollywood. It will be my third night - since coming out - attending a gay event/venue. My expectations are to absorb the surroundings, observe a lot, shake my moneymaker, and have a good time. I don't expect to hit on anyone, get hit on, or dance with another guy.

Happy new year!

2 comments:

J said...

you have a great blog

naturgesetz said...

I agree with you that there is no need to rush things and get ahead of yourself. Take your time.