Sunday, December 7, 2008

I had a great day

Right now I am feeling much better and at peace with myself than I felt earlier this morning.

That's probably because I had a great day.

It started off at brunch with an old college friend. I did not end up coming out to her, but I brought up my realization that anything people do should make them happy. She asked if I am happy, and I responded with a statement similar to: "I am working toward things that make me happy". I believe that was a big hint, so she probably got the fact that I might be recognizing my being gay. I am sure the thought has crossed her mind at least once, if not more times.

After brunch, we met up with close friend #3 to see a musical. Traffic and parking were ridiculously crazy at the theatre. We got to the door and then our seats minutes before the ushers closed the doors for the opening. The musical, which is quite dark and takes place over a century ago, had some very poignant themes that are very relevant to today's youth.

When the musical ended, close friend #3 and I head over to close friend #2's grandma's house to hang out and take her out for a very belated birthday dinner. Close friend #2 is across the country in grad school, and one of two I expect to come out to later this month. Over tea, we discussed the vast differences between past generations and today's younger generation in America, such as how values have shifted, the loss of a sense of community in many towns, and most people's self-centered tendencies and motives in society. We ended up at a local Mexican restaurant for dinner and had some tasty margaritas. I think grandma's new friend is the margarita!

We returned to the house and began impromptu Christmas caroling with grandma on the piano. It was like a moment out of a happy holiday movie with family gathered around, content and joyful. I had a great day!

No comments: