Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Take those chances

This morning I received an email from one of my managers announcing the resignation of a co-worker. Co-worker and I had joined the company during the same summer with a month in between our start dates. In my reply to co-worker, I wrote:

Of course, the reasons behind many life changes, such as this career change, are ultimately for you to be happier and in a better place. Congrats on making that change and moving on to bigger and better things. Though we haven't worked together in a long while, you will be missed around here.


Then I had my own epiphany. After writing this part of the e-mail and thinking about it, I realized, that’s it! Everything that people do in life is to make themselves happy. Therefore, everything I do in life should make me happy, no one else. If I am unhappy about something, I need to find the courage and inner strength to change the situation and put myself in a happier and better place than before, whether it is my living situation or the direction of my career.

On a related note, I received a reply from a blogger whose blog I follow. He gave me some wise words. To paraphrase, success comes to those who make their own by putting yourself in positions that allow you to meet other like-minded people. So, by putting yourself out there, the changes that you desire will come.

I couldn’t agree more. I need to take some action and be confident in who I am in order to effect that change I want to see in my life. I cannot let fear or ignorance take over, because that simply results in discrimination and close-mindedness. I no longer want to be a part of the bubble I’m living in and must take those chances to break out and live for myself.

No comments: