
On Tuesday night, I had the chance to see Celine Dion in concert again for her Taking Chances World Tour. I initially saw her tour at Madison Square Garden in New York City. I have determined that seats to a show have a major impact on how good of a time you have. At MSG, my seat was dead center to the arms of the stage where she would step out to perform. Great view and pictures! At Staples, my seat was in the corner of the arena and the view was way worse. Yet tickets were the SAME price! Awkward neck position and far, far away. Anyhow, I still enjoyed myself and had a great time. I definitely spotted some gay guys and wanted to somehow strike up conversation and befriend them. But, alas, I did not know how to approach that. If I can't even approach other gays to become friends, how will I approach potential love interests in the future? And may I just say I think enjoying her music is a big, big giveaway that I'm gay... what can I say? I might be a romantic.
After her first costume change, a screen was very visible in the middle of the stage. After finishing the next number, the show stopped while the tech folks tried to fix the issue. This resulted in a nice 30-minute break, and Celine skipped two songs later in the show. I was only slightly upset about it, because I was looking forward to hearing one of the two live again. Then I realized that management probably decided to skip the songs so that the show would not go even later. We ended up leaving around 11:30 PM, so I would imagine the two songs would have added 15 or 20 more minutes.
Last night I met up with close friend #3. I came out to her second (after my sister), but did not write about it. We had a nice dinner and drinks at a cute Italian place that we never knew existed nearby. We sat outside on the sidewalk with heaters and had a quirky waitress who said she had large, flappy mouse ears and the capability to hear from afar. Weirdo.
Close friend #3 and I got to know each other at a deeper level. Our relationship was based mostly on hanging out together with a mutual close friend, going out, dinner and drinks; not really knowing what happens in each other's daily lives and happenings. So it was great to deepend that close relationship. I am going to see her at least once more before we leave for winter vacations separately. Also, we agreed to hang out with her lesbian roommate so I can get to know a LGBT sister.
One thing close friend #3 said that struck me was her curious desire to be gay. After a short but deep analysis, I concluded that she probably wants the coming of age or self discovery process that many newly out gay people experience during coming out and question many aspects of their lives. She confessed her straight-ness, agreed with the hypothesis that she is still searching for herself and identity and reasoned that coming out gay would force her to focus more steadfastly on finding herself. I admire her open mind on sexual orientation. It's refreshing attitude from all the oppression I put myself through.
1 comment:
I didn't get a chance to see Celine, either at Staples or Honda Center :(
I wish I did go though. And I never got to see her in Vegas either. More sad face. But I do have her A New Day DVD! ;)
Post a Comment