Sunday, March 29, 2009

Thursday night

I had made plans with best friend #3 and two friends from the meetings to go out in WeHo. Thursday night turned out to be a night of firsts. An unpleasant first. Then good, unexpected firsts in which I surprised myself!

Best friend #3, one friend, and I arrived in WeHo together at about 11 pm and parked on SMB near Trader Joe's. On our walk to the bars, some lunatic in the passenger seat of a beat up car threw something small out his window at us and yelled something while we waited at a crosswalk. It turned out to be one of those small, individually-sized coffee creamers and hit friend in the chest. Luckily, he was not physically harmed, but it was both unpleasant and unexpected.

I am not sure of the motive behind this act, but can't help wonder if it was done gay bashing or simply a random act of stupidity. Or even a combination of both. Best friend #3 had stepped away to look at something while we waited at the crosswalk while friend and I waited further up by the road. Did we set ourselves up as targets, being two men standing next to each other? I am still in disbelief. In this day and age, I would not expect this to happen, especially in West Hollywood.

Though the night did not begin on a high note, we agreed to turn it around at Fiesta Cantina! While waiting for our drinks at the downstairs bar, we all realized that practically everyone in the bar was singing along to the music yet we did not recognize the songs. Apparently, none of us have been to WeHo enough to know Thursday night's music here.

We got our drinks and headed upstairs to the patio and sat on the stools behind the beer pong folks. I had not seen beer pong there before and am led to believe it only happens during the week since, in my experience, it is typically too crowded on the weekends. After we had polished off our first round of drinks, a man approached us and asked if we wanted another round. Of course, we obliged - but without knowing if this guy was a server or a random patron buying us drinks. He was dressed relatively casually and perhaps not appropriately enough to be a server or bartender. The man turned out to be a legit server. In past weekend visits, we had not seen servers most likely because of the crowds.

Our second round was not even done yet as the clock ticked towards midnight, so we finished quickly and headed over to Eleven to meet up with second friend. After gaining entrance, we wanted to get our dance on and walked up a flight of stairs to the dance floor. Best friend #3, second friend and I danced for a good 20 minutes to Middle Eastern music before we decided to take a bathroom break. After the break, we were scattered and could not find each other. Two friends and I eventually found each other and decided to go to the outside patio for some hookah.

Thursday night turned out to be my first time smoking hookah. Two friends had given me a quick crash lesson on smoking since I don't smoke. The whole hookah concept in the patio area was very attractive and casual at the same time. We chatted and smoked for about 10 minutes, hoping to hear from best friend #3, whom we had not located. Suddenly, from the corner of my eye, I saw her wave and come towards us. Best friend #3 almost made it through the crowd and was about one person away from me when I turn her way and open my arms to embrace her with a big smile and hug. That's when a guy next to me greeted me with just as much enthusiasm, leaving best friend #3 behind him and in the dust. He introduced himself as Kevin and his friend Scott to me. Instantly, I identified the wingman and the pilot. I introduced both guys to my group.

Thursday night turned out to be my first time dancing with a complete stranger. After some small talk, we all went to dance upstairs. The next thing I knew, Scott was behind and humping me. I eventually turn around to face him and was grinded on and groped in places no one else's hand had ever been before. At one point, his hand was going to slide down the front of my pants, but I did not allow it. Thoughout the night, he reiterated how cute I was. He was literally all over me. I was flattered, but couldn't say the same thing about him, because I was not attracted to him. However, I was attracted to and turned on by the whole idea that someone found me attractive and the exhilaration of it being my first time dancing with a stranger! I am proud of myself. I established the confidence and self-comfortable to publicly dance with another guy without self-imposed hang-ups.

Thursday night turned out to be my first time making out with a stranger. Early on in the dancing, Scott went in for a wet kiss and it continued all night, though I turned away a handful of times. In between the making out and dancing, his tongue made its way to my ears and neck. These were very new physical experiences - let alone being in public with my friends watching - but I went with most of the flow. I didn't know what else to do except go with the flow. It was my first time. I'm glad to report no visible hickies. As I reflect on the embarrassment of having friends witness this behavior, I have realized that I am not entirely ready to exhibit personal displays of affection (PDA), especially with a casual hook-up, unless I find the guy attractive or my type.

Thurday night turned out to be my first time receiving a guy's number. We stopped dancing twice so he could say that he had to get my number and that he wanted to take me out on a date this weekend. During the second break, he decided to give me his number even though I was under the impression that he wanted mine. I typed in his digits, but did not call his phone, and saved them with his name. He asked me to call or text him when I got home, but I still haven't because I had to think about it over several days and decide whether or not it was something I was interested in pursuing. I do not want to lead him on any further than what happened solely on the dance floor. Is there particular protocol in this?

Thursday night gave me many new emotions and thoughts to consider. On the walk to the car, best friend #3 and I had a very constructive discussion full of advice for me. One friend also had some good words to share. I can't not say that it was an exhilarating experience and that I was flattered that another man found me attractive. But I couldn't help doubt Scott's compliments. However, why would someone compliment me with the intention to lie? He certainly did not intend to take me home that night nor would I have agreed if asked. I am going to take this experience at face value, to simply enjoy the fun that was and to look forward to all other unexpected surprises to come!

2 comments:

Godfrey said...

great post man. Scott sounds like he was just into you and wanted to maybe see if you could date a little and get to know each other later. if you're not attracted to him though, you probably shouldn't lead him on. if there's a chance you may have to hang out with him again, i would text him and say you had a great time, but you're just not ready to date guys still. even if that's not entirely true. just tell him somehow that you're not interested, but that you had a great time and want to be friends. or something like that. i think it's pretty standard.

ultimately just go with the flow, and you'll end up happy in the end. :)

Diary of a Mad Latino Man said...

I would call Scott. My friend A once told me that even though fireworks don't happen right away doesn't mean they won't happen later on. Who knows, Scott could be the man of your dreams and you don't even know it.

Plus, what if he turns out to be a good friend!

Love,
Peyton