Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Inspirational and influential activist



This weekend I attended a screening at Outfest's Fusion 2009 People of Color Film Festival. The movie was called PEDRO and included a special introduction by President Bill Clinton only broadcast that night, acknowledging and honoring Pedro Zamora and his work. Outfest's website writes,

This biographical film reinvigorates the moving true story of Pedro Zamora, the openly gay and HIV-positive Cuban-American who captured the hearts of MTV viewers in the San Francisco edition of THE REAL WORLD in 1994. The first feature film directed by past Fusion filmmaker Nick Oceano (EL PRIMO) with screenplay by Dustin Lance Black (story by Paris Barclay & Dustin Lance Black), PEDRO pays tribute to a young man and captures his passion for life and education around HIV prevention.




I remember watching some episodes of this particular season of The Real World when I was probably too young to be exposed to and fully comprehend the show's adult topics. I only recall the out and proud Pedro who gave the world a strong, human face to homosexuality, but the movie showed the vulnerable, weak Pedro who struggled and suffered complications of the virus. Just like MILK, this film tribute highlighted an inspirational and influential activist who helped lead our gay movement - that we should be so proud to be a part of - forward, educated the public, and further bridged the gap that has been far too wide, far too long.

I am not well-rested this morning because I felt sick through the night. It may have been the pork chop at dinner. I still feel queasy and sick; which reminded me of film scenes when the actor suffered from complications of the virus. I just couldn't imagine suffering like that from such a destructive virus.

The film has inspired me to educate myself and play as safely as possible when time comes to be physical with men. Education on the disease, prevention and transmission. Like I wrote before, fear and ignorance produce discrimination and poor choices. Education enables the flow of the right information and better decisions in how to care for our bodies and reduce risk. Good health is too important to give in to impulsive, risky sexual behavior.